TSF and Waste Dump Design
The purpose of a TSF (Tailings Storage Facility) conceptual design is generally to provide a cost estimate for comparison or budgeting purposes (Feasibility Studies), and to gain approval from the relevant authorities if a change in tailings disposal methods is required, or if it forms part of a Mining Proposal for a proposed mine site.
The following considerations are required to complete a conceptual design suitable for costing and approval processes:
- High-level design in 3D space to allow for calculations of required earthworks volumes and available tailings storage volumes.
- Conceptual design drawings.
- Dambreak assessment.
- Stability and seepage analysis.
- Liquefaction assessment.
- Recommendations for operations and closure.
- Conceptual design of storm water diversions.
- Conceptual design of underdrainage collection systems.
The CMW Geosciences team regularly completes conceptual TSF designs and works together with the client to provide appropriate information for that particular project.